Blueberries are tiny, sweet, dehydrated dry fruits which are very exotic and not easily available in India. They are also fun to eat and have a sweet tangy taste which makes them an ideal ingredient for baking and cooking with as well. Dried blueberries are not easy to afford but if you can then they make a good snack to munch on just as they are as well. Dried Blueberries are also great to use as garnish to improve both taste and texture by sprinkling them on salads and other savoury dishes such as pies, curries and more. Dried Blueberries have a rich bright colour about them as well which is why they are ideal to be used as food presentation to enhance the look as well as the taste of the dish in question.
Dried Blueberries are an exotic dry fruit but are no longer restricted to just any one part of the world anymore. Unfortunately, India does not grow them which is why we pay such a dear premium to have them exported. Today, blueberries are dried and preserved in bulk and are popular across the world. They’re popular ingredients and delightful ingredients for soups and stews, as well as for tarts, cheesecakes, muffins, and other desserts.
Dried Blueberries Recipes
Dried Blueberry Bread
- 1/4 c Finely ground pecans
- 1/4 c Light brown sugar
- 1 ts Vanilla extract
- 1 lg Egg
- 1 c Dried blueberries
- 3/4 c Sugar
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 Pinches salt
- 1 tb Orange zest; finely chopped
- 1 c Orange juice
- 1/4 ts Ground cinnamon
- 2 ts Baking Powder
- 2 tb Flour
- 1 ts Orange zest; finely chopped
- 4 tb Unsalted butter; room
- 2 c All-purpose flour
- 3 tb Unsalted butter
- Place the dried blueberries and orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let sit 30 minutes, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix together the brown sugar, pecans, flour, butter, orange zest, and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together the milk, vanilla, butter, and egg until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and fold into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the reserved blueberries and orange zest.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and s
- prinkle with the topping.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes until the topping is golden brown (if a toothpick is inserted into the center it should come out clean).
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes and serve.
Dried Blueberries Pie
- 6 cups (890g) dried blueberries
- 2/3 cup (135g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (28g) cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 Tablespoon (15ml) milk
- Coarse sugar for garnish
- Stir the blueberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Set filling aside as the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- On a floured work surface, roll out one of the discs of chilled dough (keep the other one in the refrigerator).
- Turn the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter.
- Carefully place the dough into a 9×2 inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth.
- Spoon the filling into the crust, leaving any excess liquid in the bowl (you don’t want that in the filling– discard it).
- Dot the pieces of butter on top of the filling.
- Remove the other disc of chilled pie dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll the dough into a circle that is 12 inches diameter.
- Using a pastry wheel, sharp knife, or pizza cutter, cut strips 1-2 inches wide.
- Carefully thread the strips over and under one another, pulling back strips as necessary to weave.
- Press the edges of the strips into the bottom pie crust edges to seal.
- Use a small knife to trim off excess dough. Crimp the edges with a fork, if desired.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg/milk mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with a little coarse sugar, if desired.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Keeping the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 350°F (177°C) and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes.
- After the first 20 minutes of bake time, I place a pie crust shield on top of the pie to prevent the edges from browning too quickly.
- Allow the pie to cool for 3 full hours at room temperature before serving.
- This time allows the filling to thicken up. Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Dried Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375
- Beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl, using a hand mixer. Set aside
- Mix together dry ingredients (except blueberries), set aside
- Add eggs to butter and sugar mixture, and beat eggs, and milk, and vanilla, into the mixture.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, being careful to not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Grease muffin tin, or use liners
- Fill each slot 3/4 full of mix.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from hot pans and cool immediately.
- 1 cup coconut milk – thin or medium consistency
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 to 2 drops of vanilla essence.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cane sugar or any sweetener of your choice – optional
- 6 to 7 wheatgrass strands – optional
- Rinse 1 cup blueberries a couple of times in water.
- To get rid of pesticides, soak the blueberries in water in which 1 tablespoon of vinegar is added. You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Later rinse them again once or twice. Drain all the water and add the blueberries in a blender jar.
- Add 1 cup coconut milk with a thin to medium consistency. You can also use almond milk or cashew
- Also add 6 to 7 wheatgrass strands (optional).
- Add ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 to 2 drops of vanilla essence.
- Blend till smooth.
- Pour in a glass and serve vegan blueberry smoothie straight away.