Pumpkin seeds are well known for nutrition, health benefits, and much more. The benefits of eating pumpkin seeds are so popular that one hardly pays attention to the possible pumpkin seeds side effects. Today, the quality of a regular diet is degrading, which is upgrading the number of health problems and diseases. People are now understanding the importance of a full-fledged nutritious diet and are blindly opting for healthy food items, including pumpkin seeds. No doubt pumpkin seeds have the goodness to nourish the body, but one should consider the quantity, time of consumption, and the medical condition to keep pumpkin seeds side effects away. Everything has a dark side, so are the pumpkin seeds side effects. Therefore, this article presents you the updated knowledge about pumpkin seeds benefits, pumpkin seeds side effects, and tips to keep the pumpkin seeds side effects away.
Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds – Quick Glance:
- The antioxidant trait reduces inflammation, protects the cells from free radicals and keeps you away from several diseases.
- The presence of hypoglycaemic property in these seeds controls the blood sugar count and turns out to be diabetic friendly.
- Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium. This nutrient avoids plaque build-up in arteries, enhances free blood flow and reduces hypertension.
- Pumpkin seeds include essential nutrients, especially tryptophan-responsible for improving the quality of sleep.
- A quarter cup of these seeds is enough to prevent cardiovascular diseases, as these are rich in unsaturated fat, including alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
- Pumpkin seed extract and oil are widely used in medicines to help the bladder nerves regain control after childbirth, and reduce the rush for bathroom in aged people.
- The pumpkin seed oil contains phytosterol, which acts like cholesterol, blocks the enzymes and hormones responsible for hair loss and triggers hair growth.
- Pumpkin seeds are a storehouse of dietary fibre which maintains the health of gut bacteria and digestive enzymes.
- The high amount of fibre and calories in pumpkin seeds keep a check on unnecessary cravings and reduces appetite. These nutrients activate the fullness hormones, which helps to keep your hunger at bay.
- The rich amount of zinc and other essential nutrients improve the fertility level by enhancing the testosterone levels and preventing male fertility from damage caused by chemotherapy and autoimmune diseases.
- The presence of vitamin E, Omega 3 and 6, fatty acids etc., work miracles by making your skin soft and supple, retaining moisture and maintaining a youthful appearance.
- Lignans, found in pumpkin seeds, reduces the risk of breast cancer, especially in postmenopausal women.
What Quantity of Pumpkin Seeds is the Best to Avoid Pumpkin Seeds Side Effects?
Studies suggest that 30 grams or ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds (soaked or roasted) are the appropriate quantity to nourish your body with essential nutrients and keep away the pumpkin seeds side effects. It is advisable not to go beyond the recommended dosage to avoid serious pumpkin seeds side effects. Pumpkin seeds are packed with calories and are super nutritious. Hence, too much of its intake may result in various pumpkin seeds side effects.
Pumpkin Seeds Side Effects –
Below are some strange pumpkin seeds side effects usually hidden beneath the sparkling benefits of eating pumpkin seeds:
- Stomach Pain: Pumpkin seeds, when eaten beyond moderation, leads to pain and cramps in the stomach, which is the most common among pumpkin seeds side effects. The rich amount of fat and fibre present in these seeds causes stomach ache followed by some other pumpkin seeds side effects.
- Loss of Nutrients: Often, people indulge in so much experimenting with their food that the true essence is lost. Same is the case with pumpkin seeds, which leads to serious pumpkin seeds side effects. These seeds are often overcooked or roasted on high flame, which results in loss of water-soluble nutrients, thus reducing the overall nutritional value of these seeds. Pumpkin seeds must be chewed properly, to breakdown the nutrients, rather than simply swallowing it.
- Interaction with Diuretic Drugs: People on certain medications, like drugs related to renal disease, cardiovascular disease, etc., should consult their doctor before having pumpkin seeds, as these contain mild diuretic power which interacts with diuretic drugs. This interaction affects the mineral balance in the body, which gives rise to several health issues.
- Not Safe for Infants: Pumpkin seeds are mouth-watering snacks, tightly packed with essential nutrients. The goodness of pumpkin seeds shouldn’t be questioned but is also not safe for infants. The high amount of fibre and fat in the seeds disturbs the health of digestion in infants. Thus, leading to serious pumpkin seeds side effects.
- Allergic Reactions: Pumpkin seeds are not devoid of allergenic reactions, just like other nuts and seeds. People who are allergic to pumpkin seeds may witness some drastic pumpkin seeds side effects including, nasal conjunction, skin issues, breathing problems, allergic asthma, inching, headaches, irritation in the throat, coughing, swelling around the mouth, etc.
- Harmful for People with Hypoglycaemia: Pumpkin seed holds an excellent property of controlling the blood sugar levels. This very trait turns out to be a boon for hyperglycaemic and becomes a part of pumpkin seeds side effects for hypoglycaemic. A person may suffer from serious pumpkin seeds side effects if he or she has a low blood sugar level or is on anti-diabetic medication and is including these seeds in regular diet.
- Unwanted Weight Gain: Pumpkin seeds are great for weight loss, but if you do not consider the quantity of consumption, this may lead to unnecessary weight gain, the most common among pumpkin seeds side effects. High in calories and fatty acids, this seed is a heavy food item, hence must be eaten in moderation to keep such pumpkin seeds side effects at bay.
- Harmful for People with Low Blood Pressure: The rich amount of magnesium found in pumpkin seeds are the best to manage and bring down blood pressure. Hence, people on anti-hypertension pills or suffering from hypotension should not include these powerful seeds, as these reduce the blood pressure, resulting in serious pumpkin seeds side effects.
- Gastric Obstruction: The rich amount of fibre present in pumpkin seeds leads to the slow movement of food, which causes the risk of bowel obstruction and constipation in some people. Gastric obstruction is common among pumpkin seeds side effects.
- Hair loss: This is the most unheard among pumpkin seeds side effects. Most of you might have experienced adverse results of applying pumpkin seed oil. Excess of pumpkin seed oil leads to hormonal imbalance, oily scalp and dry hair follicles. Such imbalance leaves a negative impact on the hair, which can even cause complete baldness.
Tips to avoid pumpkin seeds side effects
- The best way to avoid pumpkin seeds side effects is not consuming the pumpkin seeds. Read the instruction on the food items to see if there are any pumpkin seeds present. Keep a watch on the outside food you eat, especially baked items, crackers, cereal bars, bread etc.
- Take special care when you travel to keep pumpkin seeds side effects aside. It’s always better to pre-plan your meal if you are away from home. Try to carry some pumpkin free snacks and foodstuff along with you while travelling.
- Always be ready for emergencies. In case you accidentally consume pumpkin food have the prescribed medicines to avoid pumpkin seeds side effects.
- Be cautious while choosing your regular cooking oil, as, most of the healthy oil includes some portion of pumpkin seed oil. Pumpkin seed oil is the best, but people allergic to pumpkins should be careful while purchasing their cooking oil to avoid pumpkin seeds side effects.
- Most of the medicines include pumpkin seeds extract, hence keep yourself away from pumpkin seeds side effects by consulting your doctor before choosing your pills.
Too much of anything give bad results. Hence, one should take care of the quantity of pumpkin seed consumption to keep pumpkin seeds side effects aside. Pumpkin seeds are a warehouse of nutrients and must be enjoyed in the limit to get the best out of it.